Thursday, August 9, 2012

Be careful what photos you use on your blog.

Roni Loren, a best selling Romance author, shared her story on her web site about what happened when she used a photo she found on Google on her web page:


I often post photography articles to my blog along with their photo with a note where I got it from as a source. Apparently even though you link back it is still not okay. 

I will also post an article in quotes and a link directly back to the web site that posted it originally. I assume that is not okay either? 

For example, here is a post I did in April 2011

My trip to Washington DC on April 14, 2011

I had trouble sleeping. The bed was so hard. I think I finally got out of bed and called my mom for a bit. While I was on the phone with her I had the idea to check out the free breakfast downstairs. After I got off the phone with her I went to check it out. I had a bagel and a muffin and some juice. I overheard a guy telling a couple who was visiting DC not to even try to park at the Vienna Fairfax station to take the Metro. There will not be any parking this time of day. He told them to go to East Falls Church or West Falls Church. I texted Dad what he had said.

We got stuck in traffic on the highway. Our GPS told us to get off at the Vienna Fairfax exit because of the traffic jam. We got off just to see what the parking lot was like at Vienna Fairfax station. It was full. We got stuck in more traffic. We finally made it to a station and parked.

We got off the Metro at the Smithsonian stop. We went up the escalators and by the exit a lady was handing out Washington DC maps. We came out the exit and it was an amazing sight. If you looked to your left you saw the Washington Monument and if you looked to the right you saw The Capital. I had fun taking pictures.




Going to see the White House was so amazing. I stood on front and just looked at it for a while. I put the camera through the black fence and took several photos. Three tourists asked me to take their photo in front of it. Dad took my photo in front of it too. I would have stayed there longer but there was a guy talking on a megaphone and another guy singing at the top of his lungs.





We weren’t really sure where to eat. Dad didn’t want to try any of the places my brother mentioned. We found a food court that had some pizza. It was really good. After we ate lunch we went to the National Museum of American History and the National Air and Space Museum.

I wish I had time to see The Library of Congress and National Archives. Maybe next time.

I would saw if you are in DC and you don’t have much time. Go to the National Mall. It is even more impressive if you do what we did. Take the Metro and get off at the Smithsonian stop so when you come up the escalators you will have a view like I did. It was amazing.
From ( http://iheartpolrbears.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-trip-to-washington-dc-on-april-13.html )


I could have posted a link to the article with my favorite points in the article and use a photo I have taken. This would be difficult if I have not taken a photo on that subject yet. If that is the case, I will need to pick articles on subjects for photos that I have taken.

For all of the helpful tips on how to find photos available to use, Visit the article on Roni's web site: http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7/20/bloggers-beware-you-can-get-sued-for-using-pics-on-your-blog.html

X-posted to my other blog : ( http://iheartpolrbears.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/be-careful-what-photos-you-use-on-your-blog-or-web-site/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment